Acid Reflux is never fun when you have it and for those who want natural ways to fight it, there are a few strategies that are proven to be of help. Please note that due to different food allergies, you may not be able to attempt each suggestion but there are enough tips for everyone to have something to work with.
One of the best things you can do to fight acid reflux is change eating habits. Here’s a list of some super foods that can also help fight the condition. Adding these foods to your diet will help with absorbing the acids.
- Oatmeal– A great super food that leaves the stomach feeling full and doesn’t cause reflux. Even by adding raisins it is still able to absorb the acidity of the raisins. It is also high in fibre.
- Ginger– Consumed in moderation it can be great for acid reflux. Since ancient times ginger has been a super food in that it is an anti-inflammatory. It has been used to treat those with gastrointestinal problems. There are several ways to implement it into an everyday diet. The ginger can be added to meals by grating it and using the shavings when cooking and blended in with smoothies.
- Aloe Vera– It could be purchased as a plant or in liquid forms from the grocery shop. It can be used to thicken sauces.
- Salad– A simple salad is key, one without cheese, fatty dressings, tomatoes and onions.
- Bananas– Some studies have shown that a banana can worsen acid reflux and some people get help from a banana. So keep that in mind when trying this method. What works for others may not work for you.
- Melon– It could either be great at fighting acid reflux or make it worse if you are amongst the small percent that says it does make symptoms worst.
- Fennel– A crunchy vegetable that has acid reflux fighting agents. It can be sliced and added to dinners.
- Chicken and Turkey– Just make sure it does not have the skin on it and it can be baked, grilled, boiled and sautéed. Choose your seasoning wisely as you want to avoid causing acid reflux with the chicken or turkey meal.
- Fish and seafood– When baked, grilled or sautéed fish and seafood can be a staple in your diet.
- Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, asparagus and other greens– These are super foods work great at fighting acid reflux.
- Couscous and rice– This complex carb would make a wonderful addition to trying to fight against acid reflux.
The key is to find what foods work best at reducing or eliminating the acid reflux symptoms you face. Another thing to remember is that by eating clean and healthy the body will become lean too. Acid reflux could in some cases be due to obesity and getting lean can help reduce your conditions drastically.
Also try to eat 3-4 hours before bed. It is the best of both worlds; reducing/eliminating heartburn and acid reflux while shrinking the waistline and adding years to your life. Drinking water is another factor that can help but make sure to drink it at the right time. Drinking a lot of water during a meal can worsen acid reflux. During any other time it’s good to drink as much as you need.
Slowing down while eating can also give the brain the needed 20 minutes to signal that you are indeed full; overeating can also worsen acid reflux conditions. Taking a digestive enzyme and probiotic will improve the digestive system. The natural enzymes and HCI in our bodies can lessen as we get older so supplementing them can improve the digestion of other foods, further breaking them down.
Staying well rested and reducing stress can also help reduce the symptoms of acid reflex. Stress can increase conditions and it is proven that people who have stress, anxiety and/or worry too much experience worse GERD symptoms. Just taking deep breaths, meditating, working out, and going for a walk can help give people comfort from the symptoms they feel. Dr. David Williams also has a few tips on naturally reducing or eliminating acid reflux conditions.
- Chewing gum can help protect the oesophagus because it increases saliva by 140 percent.
- Fixing your Hiatal Hernia is an exercise that can be done in the comfort of your own home. This can be done if after eating a few bites you are full right away or burp up acid as soon as you are done eating. Fixing the hiatal hernia is an attempt worth making and there are videos online that instruct acid reflux sufferers.
These tips should help reduce current acid reflux symptoms and lead to a road of relief for many!