Making changes to your eating habits can help you lose weight. The problem that many people have is that they do not know what they need to do when they change their diet and lifestyle habits. There are 28 little known tips that you can find and that you should implement when you want to be healthy while saving money at the same time.
Keep It Where You Can See It
The idea of out of sight, out of mind is something that applies to healthy eating. To eat more fruit and vegetables you need to keep them somewhere you can see them. There are many easy to access places around the house that you can keep your fruit:
- Have a bowl of your favourite fruit on the kitchen or dining room table.
- Keep some fruit on your desk so that you snack on this and not junk food.
- Put some fruit into a small container or packet so that they are easy to grab and take with you.
You should not only do this with fruit as vegetables are as important for your health and weight loss. Seeing the vegetables will not make you want to eat them if they have not been prepared properly. There are a number of other tips that you can use to ensure you eat more vegetables:
- Prepare the vegetables so that they are easy to eat and snack on.
- Colour code your vegetables so that you get all the vitamins that you need.
- Add them to smoothies or other food.
Don’t Forget the Protein
When looking to lose weight a lot of people mistakenly consider cutting the amount of protein they eat. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that participants, who had a diet with high protein lost weight, were more satisfied and were hungry less often. United Healthcare offers a listing of the best protein sources and this includes:
- Use meats that are lean.
- When you have a salad, include beans, nuts and seeds to get the protein you need.
- Add protein to your oatmeal using protein powder and low fat peanut butter.
Always Be Prepared
Planning ahead is something that you need to do when you want to lose weight and have a healthy diet. There are a number of steps that you should take when you prepare for the week ahead:
- Prepare a weekly menu that offers you the nutrients that you need.
- Set aside a day to prepare all the food for the week.
- Place each day’s meals in airtight containers full of the correct portion sizes.
- Avoid freezing the food as, according to Inlife Healthcare, freezing decreases the flavours and lowers the nutritional value of the food.
- Prepare everything from breakfast, lunch and dinner to snacks for during the day.
Using Your Hands
Portion control is something that people find time-consuming and annoying. If you are one of these people then you can try using your hands for portion control. The University of Georgia has released an article that helps with portion control using your hands. According to the article single portions of popular food can be measured using:
- A woman’s tight fist is equivalent to a cup of solid and liquid food.
- A woman’s tight fist is the single portion of fish.
- A serving of meat should be the size of a woman’s palm.
Do You Know ANDI?
ANDI is the Aggregate Nutrient Density Index that was created by Dr Joel Fuhrman and describes the nutrient density of foods. The density relates to the amount of nutrients the food provides for each calorie that it has. It is possible to find the fully ANDI guide at Whole Foods Market. The higher the ANDI of a food the better it is for you in terms of nutrients to calories. The 5 most nutrient dense foods are:
- Collard Greens
- Bok Choy
Keep Track of Eating
Having a healthy diet is relative to the amount of food that you are going to consume. If you only eat healthy food, but eat large amounts of it you will not be able to lose weight. There are a number of ways that you can track your eating:
- Have a food diary – this is time consuming and people often forget their diary making it slightly ineffective.
- Have an eating app – there are many apps that help you track what you eat including MyFitnessPal and LoseIt.
Get Rid Of Temptation
Getting rid of the indulgent snacks and foods that you have at home will stop you from going off the rails. If you have to keep the foods for other family members you should place them out of sight. If you forget about them you will not end up eating as many.
Hara Hachi Bu
Hara Hachi Bu is a Japanese saying which means eat until 80% full. This is a great idea to use when you want to lose weight and eat healthily. The next time you have a meal you should eat until you are only 80% full. To do this you should eat slowly and chew carefully. Dietician Cara Stewart in an article states that the body takes 20 minutes to register that you are eating and are full. If you eat quickly you could end up eating more than you need to. Eating slowly gives your body time to register the fullness of the stomach enabling you to eat until you are 80% full.
Have One Question In Mind
Having positive re-enforcement of what you are doing is always a good idea. To get this re-enforcement you should keep one question in mind when you look at what you are going to eat. This question is: is it worth it? Taping this question to your fridge, pantry and other food storage areas will make you think before you eat.
An Avocado A Day
Eating half an avocado a day can help with your weight loss. Avocados have had a bad rep for a while with people saying that they are not very good for your health. However, a study done by Loma Linda University looked at the aid that this fruit can offer with weight loss:
- The study looked at 26 overweight and moderately obese adults aged 25 to 65.
- The participants were given lunches with half an avocado and some with no avocado.
- The results showed that adding avocado increased meal satisfaction by 23% and decreased the desire to eat again by 28%.
If you are going to eat an avocado you need to be careful. A quarter of a normal sized avocado has 65 calories so you have to avoid eating too much.
Have a Daily Challenge
Making your weight loss and healthy eating a bit more exciting is a good way to stay interested. Setting yourself a daily challenge keeps you interested in eating healthy and will ensure that you get what you need from the meal. Some of the challenges you can look at include:
- Filling half your plate with vegetables.
- Have a certain fruit at least once in a day.
- Cutting back on condiments with your food.
Using Spice is Good
Adding spices to your food will help you lose weight because it boosts the metabolism. There are 5 spices in particular that can help you lose weight according to various studies.
- Cinnamon – according to a 2003 study in Diabetes Care cinnamon lowers blood sugar and increases the bodies processing of carbohydrates.
- Cayenne – a study in the Journal of Obesity found that cayenne reduces the appetite and increases energy expenditure which increases weight loss.
- Black pepper – this spice promotes nutrient absorption and improves digestion.
- Mustard seed – this spice also boosts the metabolism and according to the Oxford Polytechnic Institute it increases the metabolism by 20 to 25%.
- Ginger – according to the Mayo Clinic preliminary evidence suggests that ginger increases the metabolism through gastric movement.
Swap Out The Pasta
If you are going to eat pasta you should swap out 1 cup of your pasta with 1 cup of vegetables. This increases the nutritional value of the meal and helps you fill up without all the calories that pasta offers. The lower amounts of starch will also help you stay healthy.
Natural Snack Packs
Healthy snacks are often considered to be boring, but they don’t have to be. There are a number of natural snack packs that you can make which fill and satisfy you.
- Slices of apples with almond or peanut butter.
- Baby carrots dipped in almond or peanut butter.
- A handful of your favourite nuts.
Think About Dessert
Desserts often have large amounts of calories and other unhealthy ingredients. There are many healthy desserts that you can make including:
- Dairy free banana ice cream.
- Peanut butter pie.
- Lemon mousse and strawberries.
Substitutes for Dessert
There are many desserts that you can substitute. The substitute that you use can be as filling and satisfying as the original dessert.
- Strawberry ice cream can be substituted for fresh strawberries.
- Blueberry pie can be substituted for a bowl of fresh blueberries.
Check the Online Menu
If you are planning to go out to eat you should look at the online menu. The online menu allows you to see if there is something healthy for you to eat. Using online calorie checkers will help you determine how healthy the food on the menu is.
Changing the Water
Drinking more water can help you lose weight as it cleans the body and helps when you are hungry. Research has shown that drinking a glass of water before eating makes you feel full so you eat less. However, many people find drinking water to be dull so you should consider changing it. There are many things that you can add to water including:
- Lemon juice
- Sliced cucumber
Thirst or Hunger?
The hunger that you feel between meals may not be hunger at all. Drinking a glass of water between meals could abate the hunger and this is due to the fact that it is actually thirst. The nutritionist Dr Cousens states that drinking enough water will reduce your appetite and improve weight loss. When food is digested it creates water which is essential to health. This is one of the reasons why people assume they are hungry when they actually need some water.
Go For Nuts
Eating nuts is a good way to feel full without eating large amounts of food. Many studies have been done on the dieting properties of nuts including a study published by Dr Mattes in the Journal of Nutrition. However, there are many questions that come with the studies:
- Nuts have a high calorie count, but help with weight loss.
- Are certain nuts better than others?
- What other properties do nuts have?
Barbara Rolls at Penn State says that nuts are compact and full of energy. Small amounts of nuts will keep you fuller for longer. As you do not have to eat many you will not have to worry too much about the calories.
Tricking Your Brain
Tricking your brain into eating less is actually easier than you might assume. Using smaller plates and larger forks will trick your brain into thinking that you are eating more than you are. The brain views a full plate in the same way regardless of the size.
Avoid Drinking Your Calories
Drinks can add to your calorie intake more than you assume. There are many high calorie drinks including:
- Energy drinks
- Iced tea
- Bottled coffee
Be Careful with the Label
Most people look at the label of food when they want to lose weight, but you have to be careful with this. What the label says is not always what it actually means. It is important that you know about the lies that labels tell.
- Cholesterol free does not mean heart healthy.
- Reduced sodium does not always mean that the product has little sodium in it.
- Whole grain does not always mean that the product is made completely from whole grains.
Avoid Emotional Eating
Emotional eating is something you need to avoid when possible. It is important that you know how to determine between emotional hunger and actual hunger.
- Emotional hunger is sudden.
- Emotional hunger craves certain foods.
- Actual hunger stops once you have eaten.
- Actual hunger does not leave behind guilt.
Always Use a Bowl
Using a bowl instead of eating out of the packet or box is important. Using a bowl allows you to measure out what you are eating so you do not eat too much. Having the box or packet makes it easier to eat everything because it is within easy reach.
Stay On the Edge
When you shop you need to keep in mind that healthy food is generally found around the edges of the store. The aisles along the wall will have the vegetables, fresh meat, fresh dairy products and the bakery. The inner aisles will have the more processed foods and the foods that are unhealthy.
Stay Away From Alcohol
Alcohol affects weight loss in a number of ways including:
- Weakening the resolve to eat healthily.
- Contains empty calories which have no nutritional value.
- Slows the process of nutrient absorption.
- Affects the blood sugar levels in the body.
There are many tips that you should consider when you look at losing weight through healthy eating. When you eat well you enhance the body’s ability to metabolise nutrients and lose weight.